Thank you to everyone who participated in #DCFlagDay 2019! You all are fantastic, prideful, and inspiring people! We will achieve D.C. statehood, together!
Best Ward- Ward 6
Best Group- 51 for 51 Campaign submitted by Sam Bonar
Best Spirit- BB!!!
Best Dressed- Office of the Secretary (Red & White!!!)
Best Elected Official- Tie between CM Nadeau & CM Grosso Teams
Best Agency- Executive Office of the Mayor
Cutest- Flag Baby!!!
Artistic Expression- Casey Trees
Best Pet- Maisey!!!
Best Friend in Another State (country)- Jennifer Swift-Morgan
Best Message- CM Charles Allen (www.showup4dc.com)
Best Statehood Shot- Congresswoman Norton…
and Senator Carper!
On Flag Day, June 14th, share your photos on Twitter using the #DCFlagDay & #DCStatehood hashtags or email (email@example.com) your photos to us before June 14th and we’ll share them @51stDC and on our Facebook page.
This isn’t just a fun way to highlight civic pride and to demonstrate our thirst to be equal partners in American democracy; this is a doggone contest to see who can take the best photos and be recognized with a snazzy certificate of recognition for your efforts! Make your photos fun, serious, wacky, or whatever else strikes your fancy, but make them compelling. We are and should be proud of our beloved city-state and need to show the nation who we are. When they know that 700,000+ of their neighbors are disenfranchised, they will be compelled to join our struggle for equality via statehood.
All are welcome to join in and creativity is encouraged over conformity!
Awards will be given for the following categories (remember, all photos need to incorporate the DC flag!):
- Best Ward- Given to the Councilmember with the highest volume of individual photo tweets with their Ward’s hashtag (#Ward1, #Ward7, etc. along with the #DCFlagDay hashtag)
- Best Group- Given to the community group with the best group photo with DC Flag
- Best Elected Official- Given to the elected official (Mayor, Attorney General, Councilmembers, ANCs, School Board, Members of Congress too!) with the dopest and most compelling photo
- Best Agency- Given to the DC Government Agency (Feds, you can try too but my guess is y’all are out) with the best photo
- Best Business- Given to the business with the best photo promoting the DC Flag and its business
- Artistic Expression- Given to the person/group with the most artistic photo
- Best Pet- Given to the pet (owner) with the most cute, quirky, or compelling photo of a non-human living thing
- Best Friend in a State- Given to the person/group from one of the 50 states with the best photo thanking Representative/Senators for supporting DC Statehood or asking those who don’t to join the cause! We’d love to have folks in ME, RI, MI, AZ, NH, and NV as part of this effort!
- Best Statehood Shot- Given to the person/group with the best photo symbolic of the fight for statehood
How to submit photos
Submit as many photos as you’d like. Just make sure they incorporate the DC flag!
You can submit photos in two ways:
- Email (before June 14): Send photos to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on June 13, and let us know which category/ies you’re competing for so we can post them for you on Twitter and share them on our webpage. Additionally, please share details about the group/people that took the photos (names, etc). The more information the better. By emailing us, you give us permission to post the photo publicly.
- Social media (on Flag Day – June 14th): Post your photo(s) on Twitter with the #DCFlagDay and #DCStatehood hashtags as well as the link to our DC Flag Day Page with photos from around DC.
Judging and winners
Neighbors United for DC Statehood will judge submissions and the winners will be announced before . All winners will receive a unique certificate printed on the finest paper a copy store can provide and that we can afford. In addition to having multiple category winners, there will be one Grand Prize Winner who will receive the esteemed DC Flag Day trophy.
This contest should be a fun and interactive way to highlight civic pride and let the country know what we want and deserve: Statehood.
Senator Diane Feinstein cosponsored the D.C. statehood bill in the 115th Congress but has not done so 3 months into the 116th Congress. It’s the same bill as last Congress, so there is no reason not to cosponsor so it’s time to remind her office that this is the right thing to do!
In addition to her past support for statehood Senator Feinstein recently cosponsored S. 949, which is a sweeping pro-democracy bill that also endorses D.C. statehood. Senator Feinstein co-introduced a constitutional amendment to get rid of the electoral college because it violates the premise of one person one vote. Given her past and present stands for a more just and inclusive democracy Senator Feinstein should once again cosponsor the D.C. Statehood bill in the U.S. Senate, S. 631!
Please call, email, and/or tweet at the Senator TODAY asking that she once again cosponsor the D.C. statehood bill. If you have family or friends in California ask them to email & call Senator Feinstein on our behalf. It takes less than 2 minutes to either call, email, or tweet. Here’s a script to copy & paste: “Senator Feinstein should stand up for democracy and equality for the 700,000+ Americans living in D.C. by cosponsoring the #DCStatehood bill.”
Staff Lead: Phillip Brest, email@example.com
Legislative Director: Joshua Esquivel, firstname.lastname@example.org
The D.C. Statehood bill in the U.S. Senate, S. 631, continues to set records for cosponsors, now at 33, but we need to make sure that list continues to grow. In the House the statehood bill has a historic number of cosponsors and there will be a hearing on the bill on July 24! Growing Senate support will help bolster the cause so we need your help today!
The below 9 Senators are NOT presently cosponsoring the D.C. statehood bill! This Congress we set a goal to get to 40 cosponsors to show the growing support for this cause. We can & we will get to 40+ cosponsors with your help & hard work!
If you have family or friends in the below states please ask them to email & call their Senators on our behalf and you should do so as well. It takes 10 minutes to either call or email below Senators. Here’s a script for calls and emails and for tweets you can write “.@SenatorX should stand up for democracy and equality for the 700,000+ Americans living in D.C. by cosponsoring the #DCStatehood bill.”
Together we can continue building congressional and national support for D.C. statehood and together we will create the 51st state!
We won’t give up until they give in!