Here are a few suggestions for how each and every one of us can participate in the statehood movement:
- Host a meet and greet at your house. Invite friends and family over for a discussion on statehood – Neighbors United for DC Statehood would be happy to attend and facilitate. It’s a great way to learn about the cause and ask questions in a comfortable and informal setting. Email us to schedule: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invite someone familiar with D.C. history and the statehood cause to your place of worship, school, or civic group to discuss D.C. democratic history and the push for statehood. Have the group pass a resolution in support of D.C. Statehood. Here is a sample: DCStatehoodResolution Every single ANC & Civic/Citizen Association should pass these resolutions!
- Write, call, or visit members of Congress and ask that they support the statehood bill. To start with email these priority Senators: Potential Senate Cosponsors
- Ask your friends and relatives in the 50 states to lobby THEIR members of Congress to support statehood.
- Write an Op-Ed to a newspaper where you have friends or family around the country to help raise awareness about the statehood cause.
There are lots of other ways to be engaged in the statehood cause and we encourage you to find something you want to do for the cause and do it well. We all play a role in making statehood a reality so let’s get to work!