Neighbors United for D.C. Statehood will be hosting a photo contest to celebrate our pride in the District through celebrating our flag while also raising awareness about our desire to have our star added to the U.S. flag as the 51st state in the union. From June 8-13th residents from around the District will be encouraged to take photos with the flag to highlight civic pride and express desire control over our own affairs and equal representation in Congress through statehood.
On Flag Day, June 14th, the photos taken will be posted on a webpage similar to years past and then through email, Twitter, Facebook, and other venues will be shared with friends and neighbors around the country to highlight civic pride and raise awareness about the struggle for statehood.
This year members of the D.C. Council will be encouraging constituents to take DC Flag photos. Councilmembers and community members who take the best photos will be recognized with a snazzy certificate of recognition. Photos should be personal and District-centric as these photos are intended to convey our story, a personal story, about our yearning for equal status to the larger American audience.
Please join this effort and take a photo with the D.C. flag at your home, at a school, at a special place in your neighborhood, or think outside the box and send us something we’d never expect. Creativity is encouraged over conformity!
Awards will be given for the following categories:
- Best Ward- Given to the CM with the highest volume of individual tweets with their Wards hashtag (#Ward1, #Ward7, etc.)
- Best Group Shot- Given to the CM and/or community group who submits the best group photo
- Artistic Expression- Given to the CM and/or community group who submits the best artistic photo
- Best Statehood Shot- Given to the CM and/or community group/member who submits the best shot symbolic of the fight for statehood.
How to submit photos
- Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what Ward you are in or which CM encouraged you to participate. And any details about the group/people that took the photos (names, etc). The more information the better. By emailing us you give us permission to post the photo publicly.
- Twitter: Post the photo on Twitter with the #DCFlagDay and #DCStatehood hashtags so we can find them. If posting to support a specific CM post their twitter account in the tweet too (ie. @kenyanmcduffie)
Judging and winners
Neighbors United for DC Statehood will judge submissions and the winners will be announced on Monday, June 15th. All winners will receive a plaque and the CM who gets the most constituents to tag them in emails/tweets will receive the esteemed D.C. Flag Day trophy.
This contest should be a fun and interactive way to highlight civic pride and let the country know what we want and deserve: statehood.