Neighbors United for DC Statehood is a group of concerned citizens who are organizing locally to build a neighborhood by neighborhood Statehood movement in the District. Brookland is our charter neighborhood where we now have a DC Statehood Committee under the Brookland Neighborhood Civic Association. After just two meetings our committee has 12 members and this is what we’ve achieved and what we’re focusing on:
- Contacted over 20 congressional offices seeking support for the DC Statehood Bill (H.R. 265)
- Met with 4 offices on the House side on January 7th, 2012
- Convinced one member, Keith Ellison (D-MN) to cosponsor H.R. 265 after we heard he was fasting in solidarity with the Occupy DC folks but had not signed onto the Statehood Bill. After pointing out this omission to his staff within 2 days he was a cosponsor of the bill.
- Josh Burch was a panelist at a ACLU-NCA event on January 7th to highlight the work being done in Brookland as an example of how other neighborhoods should join the Statehood movement
- Review & fine tune the DC Statehood Curriculum developed when Rev. Jesse Jackson was Shadow Senator to see if we can’t get afterschool programs, summer jobs, and maybe some DC schools to integrate this curriculum into their activities
- Advocate in our houses of worship for them to take on Statehood as an item of importance and to push the Washington Interfaith Network (WIN) to take on Statehood as part of its advocacy agenda
- Will continue to meet with congressional staff and could always use more Brooklanders to join us in writing letters, sending emails, making phone calls, and joining us on the Hill when we meet with staff…please join us!
- Host a community Statehood picnic in summer 2012 (date TBD)
Next Meeting: February 11, 2012 at 10am (Location TBD)
- After reviewing our action items the committee will have a discussion debunking the various claims as to why DC should not be a state. This should be a lively and informative discussion that everyone is welcome to join in on.
For more information on the Statehood Committee please contact Josh Burch at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love for you to join our next meeting so that you can start a Statehood Committee in your neighborhood.